Tuesday 24 September 2013

Life Reworked


'Watching and Waiting,' oil and acrylic on canvas, 50 x 40cm

I was not lucky with the Discerning Eye submission, and collected my work on Friday 13th September. It was notable for meeting an artist from my home town. There I stood, waiting to receive my rejects, when a woman who was packing some very good bronze sculptures on the table next to me said, "Well, they weren't so discerning after all, were they?" We began talking, and then I learned that she'd made the same 45 minute train journey, and lived not far from me! We discussed somewhat loudly that the selection always came down to taste, not quality, and she told me that only 25% of the total selection was from outsiders. Your chances were slim. But of course, you have to try!

I didn't waste time sitting around thinking about this rejection. Life has to be re-worked all the time, just like a painting that has to find a form. I've been very busy working on my book. Since I installed Office 2010 (downloaded), I have raced through my manuscript. I have reached page 357 of 458, and it has been great fun pushing it into shape. After this revision, I will go through it one more time, and then submit it to Kindle.

Much like a painting, it becomes obsessive. I am finding it harder to get an overview of the quality, unlike with a painting where the whole thing is laid out in front of you!

In between writing, I have reworked an older painting (below) and also reworked two others. I began two new paintings, in anticipation of a visit from a local gallery owner tomorrow. Though I have shown in London, I would like to have my work represented locally, and I really hope he likes the work!



'Paphos Walkway,'  oil and acrylic on canvas, 60 x 45cm


No comments:

Post a Comment