Wednesday 29 December 2010

Choices


As I prepare to go to Cyprus for a few weeks, I'm thinking about the way that no one thing affects the way a painting evolves. Poetry flows from layers of experience, finds its path into a painterly vision from mulitple scents, sights and emotions, and memories.


'Choices: Carob Trees and Figures at Dusk' emerged through the act of painting, and through the realisation that the points of red paint could be a metaphor for the last rays of the sun during a walk along the coast in Paphos. The choices represent paint choices, as much as referring to the choices we all make as human beings. It was painted 3 months after my experience of the coastal walks, but I start to wonder if perhaps that passage of time allows a purer synthesis of
the original sensations. Links are constantly forged, broken, re-created, and drop into a painting in unexpected ways. I find the contrasts between painting in situ, painting from memory, and the many walks here and abroad coagulate and re-assemble in my work in ways that are increasingly exciting me.
('Choices: Carob Trees and Figures at Dusk,' Oil and acrylic, 91cm x 61cm)

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about the joy you derive from the creative process and your art. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betsy! I love writing about the creative process, or trying to, because it helps me focus on what I'm aiming for - though that keeps evolving all the time. I appreciate your comments. All the best to you. X

    ReplyDelete