Wednesday 22 September 2010

One Among Many


As a postscript to my previous post, this is a painting that came directly from the experience of my rejection by the selection committee for the Discerning Eye exhibition.
After I climbed those basement stairs, with my bags of paintings swinging from my hands, I meandered along to the Mall Galleries, where I would have shown in November, had I been accepted. It is one of my favourite galleries because the cafe is in the centre, so you can drink your coffee and entertain lofty thoughts about the work around you. On this day it was the prestigious Threadneedle Exhibition, which I'd been tempted to submit work to. I realised that my work would not have fitted the tone of this show.
This realisation instantly offered an idea for a new painting. I made an emotional little drawing in biro about being just a number among many, and the eternal fight to carve an identity, artistically, personally and creatively. In today's ever-homogenised world, I believe that many people feel that they are merely a tiny and unimportant part of an impersonal machine. This is why many of my figures have towels over their heads.
('One Among Many,' Oil and acrylic on canvas, 51cm x 41cm. 2010)

6 comments:

  1. I love this, and I love your work, and I appreciate the experiences you're going through very much. Good for you for continuing to stay creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog, Betsy, I try to turn the unpleasant experiences into something positive by using my emotions in my work. As the colours start to emerge on my canvas, I feel a sense of balance again, and get caught up in the excitement of the developing image. I really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona- thanks for following my blog. Your paintings look gorgeous. I get to deal with rejection a lot myself. Good luck with all your endeavors. I enjoyed reading your bio and I really like looking at your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following my blog too! Rejection is made easier by having the support of fellow artists! Good luck with your endeavours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this painting is brilliant. I am not an artist, but I am a writer. On that level I can understand the creative process, the joy of approval and the sting of rejection.

    God has given you a wonderful gift. Keep doing your thing.

    I know you know that. But sometimes it helps to hear it from someone who doesn't know you.

    Blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you like this painting. It's sparked off a new series of paintings based on figures in unusual settings, in which I'm using colours and shapes as a metaphor for emotional experiences. It really helps when people give me feedback - I'm always thrilled when my work touches someone else. Many thanks, and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete